Imagine yourself sitting down to open gifts with the family on Christmas morning, knowing that breakfast has already been taken care of — and you didn’t have to get up early to do it. Imagine only taking LITERALLY 15 minutes the night before to throw something together — something that everyone will think is to. die. for. This ridiculously easy recipe for make-ahead overnight sticky buns is what you’re looking for! The only “tricky” part is timing when to put them in the oven, so they’re done just as everyone is finished opening their gifts!
These sticky buns are made with frozen roll dough which rises overnight… and then the heat of the oven turns the brown sugar, butter, and butterscotch pudding mix into a decadent gooey caramel sauce… and the pecans add the perfect crunchy topping… are you drooling yet? :-)
I literally have been making these sticky buns every Christmas for at least the last 15 years. The family will not let me not make them, lol. They truly are the most delicious things ever!! (And no, I’m not given to hyperbole… much…) :-) I really do think that once you try them, you’ll want to make them a Christmas tradition in your home. They meet every requirement I have for a recipe: they are easy and quick to make, have no weird or expensive ingredients, and did I mention THEY’RE YUMMY?! :-)
Christmas Morning Sticky Buns
***Prepare these the night before you want them for breakfast. That might be Christmas Eve, or it might the night before a special birthday, or any time you are craving the sticky goodness… (my mom used them at her bed & breakfast!)
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 package (12 rolls) FROZEN roll dough — DO NOT THAW
1 box (3.4 oz) butterscotch instant pudding mix
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. The night before you want to eat these (sorry for the obnoxious repetition, but I don’t want anybody to be disappointed by starting these on the morning they plan to have them!), grease a bundt pan. Sprinkle pecans in the bottom.
3. Sprinkle dry pudding mix over top of rolls. (The “cook & serve” type of pudding will work in a pinch, but it will not make the nice sticky caramel like the instant pudding will. Instead it will be rather runny — but it will still taste yummy.)
This is what you will see in the morning. Yea, baby!!
5. REMOVE THE ROLLS FROM THE OVEN. This is very important. If you do not remove them before preheating, you will not be a happy camper! After removing the rolls from the oven, preheat to 350 degrees. When the oven is up to temperature, return the rolls to the oven and bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5-10 minutes, then flip over onto plate.
And then it’s time to indulge in this thoroughly amazing, yummy, tender, sticky, gooey, mmmmm-delicious treat!! Perfect with a cup of coffee or a cool glass of milk… oooo this is killing me….
Now that the kids are older, I have to make two batches of these sticky buns to keep the whole family happy. But since they’re so easy and quick — and I want my fair share, lol — I don’t mind doing it! Try them for your family this year and see what they think — and also notice how relaxing your Christmas eve and morning are. I think you’ll start a new Christmas tradition! :-)
- Help! I’m a Failure as a Homeschool Mom! - February 3, 2023
- Episode 93: How to Transition to High School — by Alyssa Woolf - December 16, 2022
- Episode 92: Is Your Teen Showing Consideration for Others? - December 2, 2022